At Cumnor School Physical Education promotes an understanding in children of their bodies in action. It involves thinking, selecting and applying skills and promotes positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle. Thus we enable them to make informed choices about physical activity throughout their lives.
Pupils have two hours of PE timetabled per week through which we develop the six areas of activity as set out in the National Curriculum – Dance, Games, Gymnastics, Athletics, Swimming and water safety, and Outdoor Adventure activities. Children are given the opportunity to swim during KS2 and we aim for pupils to be able to swim at least 25 metres. All pupils also have the opportunity to complete the National Cycling Proficiency scheme in KS2. Sports taught include football, tag rugby, netball, basketball, danish longball, kwik cricket and short tennis, as well as athletics. Our pupils take part in a range of tournaments and sports festivals both within the wider community and local partnership schools.
Our sporting calendar this year:
- Cross Country (September) – 4 teams entered, coming 2nd, 3rd, 3rd and 6th.
- Girls Football (October)
- KS1 Quadkids (October)
- KS2 Tag Rugby (November)
- Boccia (November)
- KS 2 Table Tennis (January)
- Yr 5 /6 Athletics (March)
- Netball tournament (March)
- Swimming Gala (March)
- U9 and U11 Girls Football competition (April)
- Tennis Yr 3 / 4 (May)
- Tennis Yr 5 / 6 (May)
- Yr 5 / 6 cricket (June)
- Danish Longball (June)
- Yr 1 and 2 athletics (June)
Some of last year’s results:
- Cross Country (September) – Both teams did really well.
- Swimming Gala (December) – Excellent results, through to the finals in June!!!
- Netball tournament (March) Winners!!!
- U9 and U11 Girls Football competition (April) WINNERS of BOTH!!!
- Tennis Yr 3 / 4 (May) WINNERS!!!
- Basketball (May) Quarter Finalists!
- Cricket WINNERS!!
- Tennis 5 / 6 SECOND!
- County Swimming Finals (June) 4th
funded by a £9,000 grant each year. To see how this funding is spent and the impact it has had at our school please follow this link below, or see the main Sports Funding session under the ‘School Information’ tab.
Our long term curriculum plans for PE and Sport:
Gemma Barry – PE coordinator